Friday, September 11, 2009

Victorian Renovation




In the Fall of 2008 a client approached me on transforming a property they recently purchased in the lovely 'point section' of Newport. The house was built circa 1890 and had never been updated. The exterior of the house was being consumed by overgrown landscaping and the interior layout was not practical for today's homeowner.

The new design called for extensive repairs on the exterior, new paint job, and blue stone patio surrounded by gardens.



The interior of the house had a lot of unused space. The kitchen was small and not conducive for my client who loves to cook. The dining room was behind the kitchen wall, the living room small, and the only bathroom was on the second floor.





Since the homeowners love to entertain, I wanted to tie-in the kitchen and dining room and give the first floor a bright open space feel. The old wall dividing these rooms were removed, the staircase pushed back to the north wall, and a half bath was added.



The floors are quarter sawn red oak with a dark walnut border. The staircase was custom made in our shop. Each tread was crafted to fit the winding pattern off a 6 inch poplar wood column (turned in our shop). The handrail and newel caps are dark walnut to match the floor.







Other features in the house include:
New electric and plumbing
New high efficiency direct vent gas boiler with on demand hot water heater
New HVAC - Unico System
Open cell .5 lb foam insulation

2 comments:

  1. that floor detail is AMAZING. i can't believe that is an art still about. Beautiful Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is Mr Benjamin contact Email details,lfdsloans@outlook.com. / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or Whatsapp +1 989-394-3740 that helped me with loan of 90,000.00 Euros to startup my business and I'm very grateful,It was really hard on me here trying to make a way as a single mother things hasn't be easy with me but with the help of Le_Meridian put smile on my face as i watch my business growing stronger and expanding as well.I know you may surprise why me putting things like this here but i really have to express my gratitude so anyone seeking for financial help or going through hardship with there business or want to startup business project can see to this and have hope of getting out of the hardship..Thank You.

    ReplyDelete